What is vScription Assist?
vScription Assist is a companion app for the nVoq Cloud Based Medical speech recognition engine and was designed to be used in place of the discontinued Transcription Assist feature previously available in the nVoq Wireless Microphone App.
vScription Assist allows you to create dictations on your iPhone and then upload them to the nVoq speech engine to convert your medical dictations to text. This process is known as backend speech. This feature is very handy if you are working in a facility where you can't install any front end speech software onto your computers either due to security restrictions or just technical limitations. You can go about your day and create dictations as you see patients and then whenever you have time, you can just log into the nVoq Administrator from a Web browser, review your dictations and paste them into the EMR. You can usually do this at any computer even if you can't install and front end speech software as the nVoq Administrator is simply a website.
Once your dictations have been uploaded, they are converted to text within seconds and can be accessed at any time after upload from the nVoq Administrator site. You can easily locate your dictations by entering an identifier in the Job ID field.
vScription Assist has full audio controls such as Insert and Overwrite allowing you to edit your dictations exactly as you want prior to uploading.
How to use vScription Assist
Note: All of the images are shown with an iPhone 11 Pro Max in Dark Mode. If you are using light mode or a different iPhone model, your screens may look different but all controls will be the same.
- You need an active nVoq account on either the Canada or US servers. Your account must have at least Read-Only Administrator access to view the Review & Correct page.
- An iPhone with iOS 13.6 or greater. Note: We won't be supporting iOS 13 once iOS 15 is released
- You will need access to a web browser at some point to review your Speech Recognized documents. Although you can technically do it on your iPhone browser, it is not ideal. Plus. since you will most likely want to copy your recognized text to an EMR or other app, it is much easier on a computer browser.
- You must have vScription Assist installed on your iPhone. We'll cover logging in the next session
The first time you use vScription Assist, you will need to login to the app with the same credentials you use to log into SayIt or nVoq Voice. You will also need to know which server to log into. For the most part, if you are in Canada, you will log into the Canada server. If you are in the US, you will login into the US server.
- Enter your username in the username field
- Enter your password in the password field
- If necessary, change the server to US or leave the default of Canada
- Click Login
Once you are logged in, you will be at the main Dictation screen and you are ready to start.
Creating Dictations with vScription Assist:
If you want to jump right in and get started, here are the basics;
- You need to enter a Job ID to be able to find the job on the nVoq Administrator Page so this is a required field. (Note: You really don't need it but we've made it mandatory as if you use nVoq Voice for front end speech as well, backend dictations will get mixed in with them so if you have a Job ID, they will be easy to identify). Once you have entered the ID, you can press Done on the keyboard to close the keyboard. Also, if you tap outside of the field, the keyboard will close. If you try and upload a dictation without entering any data in the Job ID field, you will get an alert when trying to upload telling you to fill in that field prior to uploading.
- At this point, you can tap the big red Record button and start dictating away. You can stop and start as needed, rewind, overwrite, insert etc...We'll cover that later.
- After you have done some dictation, you will notice that the Discard button and the Upload buttons become enabled. If at any point you decide you want to cancel and discard the dictation, you can click the Trash Can icon at the top left, This will ask for confirmation and then delete the file. NOTE: You can't recover a file once discarded.
- Once you are done with your dictation, all you have to do is click Upload to send the file for voice to text recognition. After you click Upload, you will see a progress screen and as soon as it's done, you will get a confirmation that the recognition has started. Click OK to dismiss this confirmation
- At this point, everything gets cleared and you're ready to start another one. If that is all you have to dictate and you're ready to see the results, skip to the next section and we'll show you how to review your field on the nVoq Administrator
Reviewing your file(s) on the nVoq Administrator:
Once you have uploaded at least one file, you can log into the nVoq Administrator to review your dictations and copy the text into any destination needed such as your EMR, Word etc... Here's how to view your files;
- Open a web browser. Chrome or the latest version of Microsoft Edge is recommended
- In the address bar, type in either https://canada.nvoq.com/admin or https://healthcare.nvoq.com/admin depending on which server your account is on
- At the login page, enter your nVoq credentials. This will be the same credentials you used to log into the vScription Assist app
- If this is your first time logging in, you will need to accept the EULA and set your Timezone as shown below
- Once you've done that, you should end up at the nVoq Administrator Dashboard
Note: If you log in and end up at the Shortcuts Page, that means you haven't been given access to the Administrator module. You will need to contact your nVoq Administrator or support person and make sure you have at least Read-Only Administrative Access
- Click the Review & Correct button to view your dictations
- Here you will see a list of all of your dictations from the current day. Here is a quick overview of this page;
- To change the date range (Default is current date), change the date in the date field.
- To search for a job. (This is is where the Job ID you entered when creating your dictation comes in handy), enter the search terms in the Search field: . Note: The Job ID field in the vScription Assist app is called External ID in the nVoq Administrator.
- You can sort your job list by clicking on a column header
- Double click on a job to open it and see the recognized text
- From here, you will see your recognized text in the Original tab. You can listen to the audio if you can't remember what you said. You can copy the recognized text and paste it into your EMR as needed. If there are any mistakes, please see the next section for correction options.
- Once you are done, you can click the Next button to go to the next dictation in your list or click Close to go back to your list
- Repeat as needed.
Note on job retention: By default, nVoq accounts are set to retain voice and text for 365 days. This means that you can go back and review any dictations and text up to 365 days. This can be adjusted so if you aren't sure, please contact your nVoq Administrator or support person.
How to make corrections to recognized text:
So there are a few things to cover in this section. First is just correcting mistakes in the text and the second is doing corrections to improve your recognition accuracy.
Correcting Text Only:
If you just want to make corrections in your text, you can simply copy the text from the nVoq page into your EMR and make the corrections in there. This won't make any corrections to your voice profile and your corrections won't be saved in the nVoq Administrator. This is primarily how you will do your corrections as you shouldn't have many errors providing your dictation quality is good.
Making Corrections to your Voice Profile:
Note: We don't usually recommend this be done by the client as if done incorrectly, it can cause more recognition issues. We offer Onboarding services where we take care of this for you. You can add words and substitutions to your vocabulary which is a safer approach.
If you are a new user, it may be worth doing corrections in the nVoq Administrator to help improve your recognition quality. In order to do this, you must have Customer Administrator rights in your Organization.
If you have the proper rights, you will notice that you will have few more enabled buttons on the Editing page. Here are the steps;
- Click the Copy Text To Corrected to make a copy of the recognized text to the Corrected Text Field
- Edit the text in the Corrected Text field and make any corrections (Note: Don't do any formatting or move text around etc... Just make corrections to words the system got wrong)
- Click Save